Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Career Planning

Today in class we had someone come in from the career development center or something of that sort, and discuss career planning. Before she had started her presentation, Dr. Tao had stated that 85% of the enrolled students in the CSU system come to have a good career. He also told us the 4 important things to do while we're here in college getting our degree:
  • Learn something
  • Do an internship
  • Create a Portfolio
  • Social Networking
Those are the 4 things that will help us get ahead of the game in our chosen career paths, and help us land a job when we graduate. When we discussed these things, I thought to myself that getting a job after graduating in my career is in my control and it is possible. From what I've seen and with the economy, I have been telling myself that it will be difficult after I graduate. I didn't want to set myself up for failure, but talking about these things lets me know that this is important, and that getting a job after graduating is possible if you do all the necessary things. When the Career Center person was giving her presentation, she made it clear to plan ahead and don't leave looking for a job or building a portfolio after you graduate. It's better if you do it before, since you'll be prepared.

After this lecture, I feel like having a career in this horrible economy is doable.

1 comment: